What do I say?

So today is going to be tough. As you know if you have read my previous entries, my family was devastated by the loss of our grandson Alex in 2013. The loss of a child is a pain that no one should ever have to experience, but sadly, the world is not perfect and tragedies do happen. As a friend of mine said recently, "we are members of a group that no one ever wants to be a part of".

Today I will be there to help a friend and co-worker morn the loss of her son. James would have been 2 in August and my friend has been his foster mom since he was only weeks old. A week ago today, the judge cleared James for adoption, and Saturday morning he was unresponsive in his crib. Still no answers as to a cause of death.

There are no words to express my sympathy, or my keen sense of understanding of the devastation that is a loss of a child. A young life that has barely begun, that has come to an end far too soon. Those who have experienced it know, all too well, that time does not "heal all wounds".

Yes, this tragedy has dredged up lots of emotions for me in this last week. Like opening a box that I had nailed shut and buried beneath the surface of daily routine, and "moving forward". But, if there is one thing that I will share with my friend today, it is this... don't be afraid to lean on those close to you, because once the "activity" is over and it is just you and your grief, that is when the real work begins. And know that, although this is a wound that will not ever fully heal, there will come a time when the memories of James will make you smile, even laugh, and remind you that it was all worth it and you would do it all over again if given the chance.

Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you
Each night on angels wings
Godspeed, Sweet dreams.

https://youtu.be/d4zCkbG-07Y

Comments

  1. Wow. My heart breaks all over again for you & Martina reading this, and now your friend too. I will send you all lots of good thoughts & healing energy. ❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment